Thursday, May 16, 2013

In the house of stone and light


I heard the title song from the album on the radio back in 1994 which was many years pre-google so
I had little information to go on about who exactly Martin Page was.I checked out the CD in a record store (yes there used to be dedicated record stores)
To me he sounded a little Peter Gabriel-esque. And then I saw that Phil Collins played drums on some songs and Bernie Taupin co-wrote some of the other tracks. So What was not to like about it. I bought it. I had a music system then that took up some serious real estate with stacked units and a bad boy amplifier. However due to neigbourhood by-laws and my wife's insistence on wanting to hear herself think I could only turn the volume knob -and yes everything had knobs back then - a fraction of a mini-turn.It was more like a a little touch than a turn but even then it belted it out with a rich and deeply satisfying base. My favorite tracks were 1) In the house of stone and light 2)shape the invisible and 3) Put on your red dress. Three fave tracks was good going in the pre-itunes era. Listening to it now nineteen years later  those are still my favorite tracks.When I read the booklet I saw credits for WOMAD which was the Peter Gabriel world music foundation and which explained the Gabriel kind of sound. It was commercial  but had that hessian bag roughness about it that gave it the vibe of Johnny Clegg -the South African artist whose music sounded a little similar in some instances. I never heard Martin Page's follow up album. Either it was a long time coming or under promoted I don't know.
But this his first album still sounds quite good after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment